Saturday, July 28, 2007

More goats

We bought two new goats today, both five months old. They're both Boers, one buck and one doe. We needed a buck anyway, and he's a nice looking little guy, so we jumped at the chance. The doe was bottle-fed, so she's very friendly and tame. Between that and looking very good, we couldn't help but get her. I may end up bottle-feeding all of my replacement doe kids next year, or at least some of them, so that my herd will become easier to handle. Once the herd as a whole is tame, I should be able to let the does raise their kids without losing too much tameness.

I'm planning to train the buckling to graze on a tie-out, so that he can clear out areas too small or dense for the doe herd to get into. I'll be keeping an eye out for a cheap wether to be his friend, or if necessary I can save one from a future kidding.

No comments: