Sunday, July 01, 2007

Pick a Peck of Pickled Peas

Since we have so many peas, I decided to pickle a batch. I used this recipe to pickle five pints of snap peas. There are still a few left over for salads.

For the snow peas, I'll freeze most of the tender ones for stir-fry later, and try pickling some of the others. The really tough, overgrown ones will be evaluated for shelling pea suitability. Anything that's left will be fed to the goats.

The shelling peas will probably find their way into a casserole or two, or maybe a pot pie. I know this will come as a shock to my mother, but I've actually found that I like peas that are fresh from the garden.

In the home garden, the tomatillos are massive with a lot of fruits. Salsa verde! I also picked the first two pickling cucumbers, since they were getting too big. Not enough to make pickles, but perfect sliced thin and marinated in Italian dressing. I know, another shocker. But oddly enough, cucumbers also taste good, fresh from the garden. I'm really looking forward to my slicing cucumbers, which are Lemon Cucumbers.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm insanely jealous of your ability to KEEP UP with your harvest! I mean, my son grows tons of stuff, but I'm not home enough to DO anything with it. It piles up. And now you have blueberries and huckleberries too! I'm envious. - Farmgirl

Mel, Foxtail Farm said...

Well, we don't always manage to keep up. Some of the peas have gone bad while waiting for something to be done with them. It's a good thing you posted, though, because it reminded me to go wash and freeze the blueberries/huckleberries. Definitely don't want those to go bad!

--Mel