Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Weeds

One thing I never had to deal with in Arizona were weeds. Such intense irrigation was required to grow anything there that the seeds sprouted before the weeds had a chance to get a foothold, and there weren't all that many weeds in the first place. In Ohio I find that weeding is a necessary part of gardening. Although I find watering my plants more satisfying than weeding, I prefer to deal with weeds than watering. Simply put, if circumstances prevented me from watering in Arizona, plants died. I would have to significantly fall behind on weeding before I had such a concern. So although it is quite necessary, there is considerably less urgency.

In other news, I don't expect any more wildlife disturbances. We got two new dogs, a Great Pyrenees and an Australian Cattle Dog (which I prefer to call a Red Heeler). The Pyrenees (Balto), along with the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross (Phantom) we already had have moved to an enclosure next to the garden. I don't expect turkeys or deer to want to come particularly near two large dogs. We hope to so put up one more fence enclosing the remaining cleared land and get meat goat breeding stock. Balto and Phantom would then live with the goats.

We had a lot of rain the last three days. Things are growing well. At this point I have seen at least one of nearly everything. Notable items which I have not seen any of include: Cumin, Leek, Shallot, Chives, Parsley, Celery, Oregano, Paprika, Coriander, Marjoram, Cayenne Pepper, Bell Pepper, Shiso, Basil, Savory, Potato, Scallion, Serrano Pepper, Amaranth, Endive, Carrot, Chamomile, and Tomatillo.

No comments: