Friday, August 18, 2006

Wildlife damage

It was bound to happen eventually. From the scat left behind, it would appear that the wild turkeys have been at my garden. The peas, soybeans, and corn have all taken substantial damage. Mostly it appeared to be scratching and digging, with damage to the plants being random and indiscriminate.

I planted another 5 blocks of Swiss chard today, from an old seed pack dated 2000. I don't have very high hopes; but since I need to use up these old seeds, the remaining five rows (100 blocks) seems like a good place to use some of them up.

I got a call from Park Seed that my order with them had been returned. They are going to resend to my Adena address. At this point, those seeds will all have to wait until next spring. They include habanero pepper, buttercup squash, delicata squash, acorn squash, and tomatillo. I managed to plant tomatillo only because I found the leftover seeds from last year's planting.

No comments: